Chrysler news from California

300 folks

I just got home from the California Mille Miglia, Martin Swig's 1000 mile
rally through No. California. . Chrysler sponsored it. A few old time and
many new Chrysler people were there. They showcased a red 55 C300 (I think it
was Larry Jett's former car) and a 57 300D with the new Crossfire and a
sport utility vehicle.

The new EVP marketing of Chrysler (Tom Marinelli ?sp) actually drove the red
C300 day one...not since Bob Lutz left Chrysler have we had this kind of exec
participation.

The CrossFire has a Mercedes E320 engine they rate at 215HP; wide ratio 6
speed manual and opt 5 sp auto... Very light car, about 3200 lb, moves to 100
MPH pretty quickly.

However, I mentioned to the Chrysler team that Mercedes has an EPA approved
version of this engine with an AMG supercharger @ 350HP (I have driven the
featherweight Benz SLK with this motor and its like a true little "hot
rod"). My calculations would estimate 0-60 mid-5 seconds if geared well, and
MAYBE 13.9 in the 1/4 mile IF they'd offer this combo. D_C likely
fear..would that eat into Mercedes sales?
"Price it high, and cry all the way to the bank!"

No promises or guidance but (wink smile) they are "working on" addditional
high performance Chrysler badged cars. I had one comment that there is some
fear that the Chrysler dealer network can manage customers with performance
cars in 2003 (Dodge Viper stories?)

The Chrysler execs on hand were proud as can be that they worked the HEMI
back into a passenger car, first maneuvering it through US rules into a
truck. Regarding looks, didn't want to say "the baby is ugly"...too late to
change..., just congratulations. Once its on the street next generations can
be developed.

There has been lots of discussion about THE LETTER...whether to seek a
"retro" restart vs "N". I'm sure that all kinds of high powered behavioral
psychologist marketing experts have been paid to offer their advice. I wish
it was N...but that might not sell as many cars...Yet the average buyer might
not have been born in 1955-57.

Ferrari was mentioned in a recent e-mail as a company that wouldn't relabel
in a confusing way. Non e vero. In the mid 80's when performance was going
down hill, they badged a 3500 lb car the "testarosa". Painted the cam covers
red and tried to leverage the 1957 heritage of the 1800 lb V12 Scaglietti
bodied Testarosa. Purists had a negative reaction. But Ferrari sold a
remarkable number of them...7177 in total, and they still resell for $55-70K,
despite better performing new cars available at the high end of that price
range (not Ferrari badged).

The good news is that the Chrysler brand has a top notch marketing/brand
manager with an objective to build the Chrysler brand around PERFORMANCE and
luxury automobiles....we wont have another Plymouth episode w/ "Chrysler".
Chrysler 300 members would have been happy to see all the promotional
displays with NASCAR pictures from the 50s, the HEMI history, the letter
cars, etc etc. Beats the 2001 cutback days.

Best regards,

Joe Brilando