Re: [Chrysler300] Chrysler news from California

Re: [Chrysler300] Chrysler news from California

Hi Joe, thanks for the update. I've made a couple
visits to the front lines recently myself, and want to
add a couple thoughts.

I attended the New York Auto Show and saw the beast in
person, but if we can get past the styling for a
moment, it's hard to argue that performance is back at
Chrysler.

I've driven a few Ram pickups with the so-called HEMI
engine, they are very fast and lots of fun.

Last week I went to Road America and drove a bunch of
new cars (all different makes) around the track,
including Viper, Crossfire, and Neon SRT-4. This was
my third occasion to drive a new Viper, it has more
power yet it's WAY easier to drive than the old one.
Big improvement. The Crossfire was really a surprise.
I drove the automatic, and yes, it does get to 100 mph
very fast, and handles great. However, it's pretty
cozy inside - I'm 6'4'' and my hair was touching the
headliner. Neon SRT-4 217-hp and turbocharged = very
fun. Fastest car you can buy for under $20K (yes,
that's $19,995!) I got to take it home for the
weekend, despite its cop-bait yellow paint and the boy
racer wing on the trunk, I LOVED it.

Yes, I'm stressing the positives here, but good things
ARE happening over at Chrysler. Styling is a matter of
taste, raw performance numbers are not. I think we can
be proud.

One last comment: the "300C" uses steering and
suspension parts from the E-Class Mercedes. I took an
E500 around the track. I swear I drove it as fast as
the Corvette Z06 (probably says something about my
driving!) What a car. The 300-whatever will be a lot
different, it's bigger and heavier for one thing, but
what a base to build on. Add the Hemi, and wow, it's
going to be a hot car.

And hey, you won't be able to see what it looks like
on the outside while you're driving it!

Andy