Re: [Chrysler300] 300H Fuel problem - answer

Re: [Chrysler300] 300H Fuel problem - answer

>rocker arm shafts. The only oil supply to the rocker
>arm shafts comes from the #4 cam bearing and is not
>full pressure but is an intermitent supply as holes
>drilled thru the camshaft journal line up with holes
>in the cam bearing. Have the cam bearings been
>replaced? If the holes in the bearing aren't lined up
>with the holes in the block it can louse up the upper
>end oiling. The chatter you hear could be rocker arms
>rattling on the shaft instead of being cushioned by
>oil.

There is a short shaft between the distributor and the fuel pump. This shaft
runs in a flanged bronze (?) bushing that is a press fit in the block (IMHO
should always be replaced when engine is apart). It is not pressure
lubricated. If lube oil flow is not properly directed in the upper valve
train area, this bushing will fail. We have been out of town riding north of
the Grand Canyon for the last 5 days so may have missed notes on this
subject. The Merritt Message I did find otherwise covers it all very nicely.

BTW Chrysler had some problems with this bushing in there SB V8's & possibly
some V6's in Dakota applications just a few years ago.

Warren Anderson
Sedona,AZ