Re: [Chrysler300] 392 fan belts

>Seems I have created a 60MPH governor on my C. Every time I exceed 60 the
fan belt squeals. I'm pretty sure it is the generator belt since there is a
black smudge on the under side of the hood above the generator(single belt
that goes from fan to generator.

Went out to check a dump truck last Friday that was dead with a broken off
water pump (at the block); large bang at highway speed and broken off pump
laying in the shroud (and torn off fan pieces all over and a large hole in
the radiator). My diagnosis was that the engine cooling fan was overdriven.
This truck should have had a thermal fan clutch that would have limited fan
speed. The 18" diameter and heavy OE fan was designed to turn only so fast.

Front engine accessory drive belts sometimes do double duty. An alternator
belt may slip because the PS belt that also is supposed to help drive the
water pump and fan is not doing it's job.

I have found that there are some very compelling reasons to use Gates belts
and that, no, all belts are not equal.

Warren Anderson
Sedona,AZ