Re: [Chrysler300] Need Drums (all four) for a 1962 Sports 300 (12 inch)

Re: [Chrysler300] Need Drums (all four) for a 1962 Sports 300 (12 inch)

You may be legal with the drums if they are under .090". I tried getting my 62-300 drums turned at my local auto parts chain stores and they kept measuring over .060 and thus would not turn them (the 62 drums do not have the tuning allowance cast into them as do the the later Mopar drums. I went back to my '62. shop manual book for some evidence that allowed turning drums up to .090 with no avail. I finally found a 75+ year old gentleman who had an independent small 50 year old automotive machine shop, behind a non-chain auto parts store in another town who turned the drums - no sweat!. Two things to make my .066 Over size drums turnable. 1. Both his drum gages read the drums "under" ,060!! 2. He indicated that as he remembers doing these early drums up to .090 over size. as chrysler brake drums, to the early/mid 60's were allowed turning up to .090 oversize. He looked amongst his many many well worn and dusty shop books for the brake manual covering 1962 with no avail. Did find something , about '64-65 that indicated .090 allowance.

In summary these kids behind the parts counter are programed to reject any thing over .060, use drum gages that are maybe purposely out of accuracy so they can sell new drums, use cheap-out-of-calibration (or never calibrated) gages. Find an old timer, or machined shop, like I did, that has been turning drums for 40-50 years and get them done there!

It would be of help to us all if someone out there has some hard copy of the drum turning allowance for various years of Mopar that we can take to the local parts store and shove it in their face when getting our over .060 drums turned. I wish I had found this old machine shop a few years back as I would have saved 6-8 '62-300 drums I tossed because they were measured over .060 by the local autoparts jokey (I also doubled check the measurement using his gauge and went to another auto parts shop) when I brought all my '62 drums to be measured (some 20+ drums).

Ken Wilson
'62 chrysler 300's

gadickel wrote:

Hello Fellow 300 Folks,

I am very much in need of either NOS or decent ( capable of turning and staying legal) used drums for a 1962 Chrysler Sports 300 Convert. My understanding is that all Stateside built 1962 Chryslers except the Newport had the same 12 inch units.

Can some good soul put me on to a set for sale.

Thanks a million - hope they don't cost a million!

Tom