torqueflite trans.

Even though the transmission may not automatically downshift into second as a passing gear, if you are still within the torque and HP range of your engine, it is usually possible to manually downshift. At 60-70 MPH I would think that at full throttle you could still down shift without over revving the engine. I would use full throttle to avoid a severe jolt from the mismatch in engine and transmission output speed. I threw together some real rough and ready figures using a lot of assumptions to see what might have happened if the tranny did downshift or if you manually did so.

I know post '62 727 aluminum torqueflites use a final drive ratio of 1.00:1 and a second gear ratio of 1.45:1. I can't find the gear ratios for the cast iron torqueflite, but the second gear is probably very close to that of the later tranny. If we assume two different tires for a comparison, 235R75 x 15 and 225R70 x 15 we find the 235-75 series has a diameter of about 28.9" and the 225-70 series a diameter of about 27.4".

Assuming a rear end ration of 3.23:1, at 70 MPH and in third gear, the engine would be turning 2638 RPM with the 235 tires and 2773 RPM with the 225 tires.

A downshift to second at 70 MPH with a 1.45 second gear ratio would lead to 3825 RPM with the 235 tires and 4020 RPM with the 225 tires. I believe the standard 413 in the "F" developed 375 HP at 5000 RPM and the higher performance engine developed 400 HP at 5,200 RPM. It appears to me as though the engine would not be over revving.

Since maximum torque develops at 2800 for the 375 HP engine and at 3600 RPM for the 400 HP engine, looks like you were sort of caught right in the middle, beyond the torque band and not really in the HP range for the standard 375 HP engine. I sort of feel that if you have the 400 HP engine, it must have been an unusually fast car to pass on by like that.

Next time, slip it into second right when you think something exciting might develop and be sure to start accelerating earlier. You have to have a MUCH faster car to overcome the momentum gathered by a long head start. It is easy for another car to be going 20 MPH or more faster than you when they come even, if you wait till they are almost there to accelerate,...well, you know.

If you do want to manually bring the engine to it's peak, I recommend an accurate tachometer, new valve springs are quite helpful as well.

That's my Monday morning quarterback take on the situation from a few thousand miles away.

Regards,

Bill Huff

I believe it depends on how the transmission is set up which in turn depends on your motor's torque curve & rpm capability and your axle ratio. If you have a stock 413 with a 3.23? rear gear, then you wouldn't want it to downshift over 70 mph or you are likely to over rev the motor.

Steve Galezowski