Mirror Removal

Hi, All,

I'm in the process of removing stuff from my K, and I need some advice on
taking off the remote control exterior mirror. There are 3 cables connected to
the mirror part of the assembly (the glass part). It seems that it would be
better to take these cables off at the inside control knob. True? How can I do
that and have at least some chance of getting it back together? I really
don't want to ruin anything doing this.

Thanks,

George Clineman