300's made out of radioactive Jap metal.

300's made out of radioactive Jap metal.

Heck, found this on http://www.allpar.com/history/inside/plymouth-6.shtml

Does this mean our Chryslers are rusty radioactive Jap bombs?

Owen

Some 20 years later, in the 1970s, it was suspected, and alleged that in a government effort to aid the economy of Japan in the mid 1950s, steel was melted down for shipment to the United States. Under a subsidy, this steel was sold to the largest users, which of course, was the automotive industry. Purportedly this steel was from the Atom Bombed buildings left in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Of course this does raise a deadly radio activity question, however, conclusive tests showed that remelted iron and steel returns to normal, since it is a "new" metal. The true issue was that it contained high levels of iron, which is a notorious oxidizer. As well introduction of nickel or chromium, into the molten steel, which are good oxidation resistors, was prevented due to cost considerations!

The use of that poor quality steel, along with the considerable lack of rust resistance methods on the line, garnered Chrysler a poor reputation that still lingers today in some people's minds. Yet, given what we know now about the steel from Japan, it is totally unfair to lay all the rust problems at Chrysler's door step. They were doing their patriotic duty for the country. Some repayment they got for that.