From: "Mark Schueller" <f41324@xxxx>
To: "Chrysler 300 Club" <Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Chrysler300] 300C Front Brakes (take 4)
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 21:20:49 -0500

Greetings 300 Club Members:

My 300C still has a front brake problem. I first asked for help mid-September and many helped by giving suggestions. The car had been pulling hard to the left when braking hard. It takes forever for me to get something done because I do my own mechanical work in spare time after work.

I replaced both front brake hoses, had the brake drums turned (both are 0.080 over), had 4-brake shoes relined, had the brake shoes arced to the brake drums (thanks to Bob Jasinski's persistence), checked and cleaned the wheel cylinders (they were free and clean), installed new brake shoe return springs, and lubed brake shoe friction points with synthetic lube. After assembly and adjusting, etc., etc., I took the car out for a 20-minute test drive and the car braked without pulling left or right. The pedal wasn't the best but I was delighted. The following day I went for a longer ride and stopped at a restaurant with my wife. When we came back out the right front brake was partially locked up. The brake became free after jockeying the car back and forth. We made it home but the right front brake was starting to lock up again. I put the car in the garage for the night and tried pushing the car by hand the following morning. It rolled easily. Hopefully that means the brakes were properly adjusted.

I tore the right front wheel down again and found a problem with the brake support plate. The brake shoes were wearing in nicely, the inside of the drums looked good and so did everything else. The front brake support plate spring that rests against the adjusting cam was pulled way out and is obviously shot. The spring looked slightly bent mid-September when work began, but I thought it would work so I reused it. The previous owner put new brakes and master cylinder in the car last year but when I test drove it in November 2002 it was pulling to the left. I figured it would be an easy fix. Yah sure!

I need the following 300C replacement parts and expect to pay for them (part numbers are my best interpretation of the PARTS LIST):
Right Front Wheel Brake Support (part number 1677 052?)
Right Front Wheel Brake Dust Shield (part number 1675 032?)
Right Front Brake Drum with Hub (part number 1732 288?)
Left Front Brake Drum with Hub (part number 1732-289?) I want to replace the drums because 0.080" over is beyond the recommended maximum of 0.060" over.

Another thought is to convert to disk brakes. I would rather not but it's an option. Is anyone experienced with this conversion on a 300C? Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help. I defininately need it. This has not been a good summer with my new C.

Mark Schueller

Chat via SMS. Simply send 'CHAT' to 1889918. More info at http://ninemsn.com.au/mobilemania/MoChat.asp?blipid=6800