Re: [Chrysler300] K Steering Wheel - Painting

Re: [Chrysler300] K Steering Wheel - Painting

Hi Pete, and group,

Ive painted several wheels over the years and have yet to
have any adhesion problems. Ive done regular wheels and also had to
re-woodgrain the wheel in my Charger.

Basically, just wet sand the wheel after repairs with
220, 320 then 400.. no finer. Spray the wheel with a good flexible primer made
for plastics. I believe MarHyde or SEM makes them available in spray can form.
You can also try Urethane Supply Company for universal primers ( Im sure
they have a website ) Dont put it on heavy.. just dust a few light coats on to
achieve hiding of the original color of the wheel.

Next, top coat with the color of your choice You can have
your shop or supplier mix the paint in either spray cans or pints probably or
try Mopaints.com. Ask for Rob, he's in NJ and has been fond of my K for years
so im sure he'd be willing to help out if you need a custom color matched.

You can go with several heavier coats with the color
unless you want to clear coat. In that case keep the color coat minimal and then go
heavier on the clear. Once dried the wheel can be buffed with a
microfinishing compound... Gil at your shop will know all about this.

Dont make a big ordeal about it... you can do it at home
and don't be afraid of spray cans as long as you use an epoxy. Your repairs
will fail and the wheel will probably re-crack long before your hands wear the
paint off. Oh .. remember you can spray epoxies, enamels and urethanes over
laquers (in a pinch..but it's never really recommended mixing types or brands of
paint ) but never try to use laquer over any other type of paint as it will
lift the paint and you'll have a mess.

Hope this helps...
Mike Laiserin