engine swap

In addition to the excellent advice from several others, you might want to check out the pushbutton control. Altho they appear similar and will bolt in the same location, the 1961 and earlier cast-iron torqueflite pushbutton controls are not always compatable with the 1962 thru 1964 aluminum transmission pushbutton control.
I discovered this the hard way back in the late 60s after I had stuffed a 1961 Plymouth Fury big-block with the castiron torqueflite in a 1962 Lancer GT that had originally been powered by a 225 slant 6.
I had everything installed, including the 1961 control in the dash, but when I tried to finish by installing the pushbuttons in the control, they weredifferent. I tried every way I could, but there was one pushbutton that just wouldn't fit. It has been too many years to be sure, but I think it was the reverse button that I finally had to drill a hole in the faceplate and make a pushbutton out of a long bolt to use that gear. This worked OK on a machine being built for the drag strip, as well as street driving, but you wouldn't want it in your 300G.
The way to check it out, [hindsight] is to assemble the pushbuttons and faceplate from your car, and then see if the same pushbuttons and faceplate will fit the 62-64 pushbutton control that matches the transmission you are using.
Someone else in the club may know if early [61 back]and late [62-64] V8 equiped full-size cars used the same control, but the early Lancer,[same size car as Valiant] didn't. It could be my problem was going from Slant 6 to V8, but check it out first.
Okie Bob