[Chrysler300] Rear axle/brake shims

My brake mechanic just called with a problem on my 1955 C300.  I had him
replace all wheel bearings front and rear on a proactive basis.  He
advises the rear axles are now about 0.030" too tight axially and is
looking for a source of precut shims to go between the backing plate and
rear axle mounting plate.  He has my manual, so I can't research or
describe this much better, but he indicates the fit is supposed to be
about 0.003"  loose.  The mechanic's background is a machinist and I
trust his measurements and observations.

Any insights into the problem or source for the precut shim stock
greatly appreciated.  The mechanic and I were surprised at the apparent
shift in tolerance with replacement of the wheel bearings of the same
brand (Timken) and part number.  The bearings were press fit, he said.

Thanks for any help, as always, and I'll stop agitating my friends in
the colder parts of the world with local weather conditions here.  I
remember how it felt to get weather news from the tropics during a
blizzard in Iowa.

Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA (partly cloudy)
1955 C-300 (new shoes are tight)