[Chrysler300] Stuff NAPA had then that they don't have now

[Chrysler300] Stuff NAPA had then that they don't have now

Dennis and others

I just bought $350 of parts from the "F" NAPA parts list and the only parts
they didn't have were the brake shoes and a power steering pump.  I got
25-30 other items with no problems in one day from a small city in South
Carolina.  There were a few changes in part numbers, but the NAPA guy took
care of everything.  The parts list is a great help and I thank Dennis and
others for their efforts to keep us updated.

Thank you very much.

Tom Cox

Hi 300 lovers.

     When I compiled the NAPA list of parts available for several years of
the 300 series (the one's on the Club website) it was 1999-2000. Every
single part number that was listed was checked for availability at that
time, sometimes it was in stock, sometimes it could be special ordered from
a distribution center. For example, TS86, the brake shoe set number for
several years of our cars, showed 35 sets available throughout the US at
that time. I expect several members decided to order a set once they knew
they were still available, and probably ordered a few other numbers as
well.( I know I did) The supply disappeared. Occasionally, NAPA computers
recognize a "run" on a particular part number, and a restock order is issued
to the vendors.  But not every time.  TS 86 disappeared, most likely
forever, from NAPA as they continued with a national policy of suggesting to
store owners that only high-turnover items be stocked. TS 86 ain't one of
'em, and it's likely a few more will fall by the wayside as our cars age.
Typing in TS86 in a NAPA store's computer will show "not available", and
trying to get around the store's stocking computer by running a check on the
regional distribution centers will show the same thing. Five years ago, you
were still in luck.
     I was hoping to solve two problems when I submitted the list. One, if
you have a part number in hand, you can work around the "non-car guy" types
at the parts counters  who know only how to push buttons on the keyboard,
and would'nt be able to decipher a printed parts book if it landed on their
foot! Two, you now could use these numbers to stock up on parts that were
likely to be gone in a few years, if not sooner.
     I no longer work for NAPA, but I still have sources within the regional
mechanism who will help me run down a part or two.  They are having a lot
less luck than before, as local stores send back slow selling merchandise
for credit to the regional warehouse, who don't re-stock it when the part is
finally sold.
     The Club website list undoubtedly has more numbers that are obsolete.
The best way to use this list, in my opinion, is to go to a NAPA store with
the part number you need, and hope that it's still available. Sometimes,
after they look at you funny, you can go to O'Reilly's, Auto-Zone, or
Advance with the part number and they'll cross it over to their part number
for you. (Sometimes, depending on their knowledge of how to do that) These
stores often have parts available that NAPA stopped carrying over the years.
     Our cars are getting older, and the days of easy-to-find parts are
coming to a close.  Check with the Model A guys, and ask them how easy it is
to find a water pump for their stock engine at a NAPA store.  When I was
working in a small independent auto parts store while in college (1965), we
kept two of these pumps in stock for cars that were at the time 30-plus
years old.  We stopped carrying them in 1969 after the last was sold.
Behold, our parts future!
    Sorry for the long discourse, and I apologize to Club members who did
not know how old that parts list is.

dennis cloer       hickory nc     300g coupe

For list server instructions, go to
Yahoo! Groups Links

'Thanks & Giving.'