[Chrysler300] C-300 Exhaust/ Gas tank sending unit/inside rear-view mirr

[Chrysler300] C-300 Exhaust/ Gas tank sending unit/inside rear-view mirror

Jim & All:

I can't help on the proper diameter for a 300-F, but I have been
wondering about what is the proper tube size for my 1955 C-300.  I just
had a couple of three chamber Flowmasters installed and the inlet and
outlet for these were 2", but the tailpipes necked down to 1-7/8".
Possibly for a little more clearance around the gas tank.  This seemed
kind of strange.  Can anyone confirm or advise what is correct if this
is not?

I'm also shopping for a good service and reasonable price on a fuel tank
sending unit for my 1955 C-300.  Any suggestions on vendors or repair
shops greatly appreciated.  I bought a 25-Ohm rheostat at Radio Shack
and used it and some 22-Ohm fixed resistors to determine the instrument
panel gage was working ok.  Disconnecting the wire to the sending unit
and inserting the rheostat  and fixed resistors between the wire end and
ground produced the following:

Resistance to place the needle on the E arrow:  72 Ohms
Resistance to place the needle on the 1/2 tick mark:  35 Ohms
Resistance to place the needle on the F arrow:  10 Ohms

Upon removal, the sending unit appeared to have an open circuit with
infinite resistance at any position of the float.  The float is stamped
1 55 and appears to be a date stamp.  So it appears to be original.  The
cork float appeared to have been coated in black paint or shellac and
the shellac was gone from the bottom portion of the float that would be
in the liquid gasoline.  The sending unit was fairly easy to remove.

I also bought an inside rear-view mirror, supposedly from a 1956
Chrysler.  It has a glare-reduce flipper and a polished stainless steel
back.  The mirror is the same size as what was on my car, but my car's
mirror did not have the anti-glare flipper and has a somewhat pitted
chrome-plated steel back.  The connection between the mirror and bracket
was different between the two mirrors.  Another 1955 mirror offered had
a gray-painted steel back.  So--questions:  What year did the anti-glare
flipper become standard or a factory and/or a dealer-installed option?
Was the painted-back mirror standard on "lesser" MoPar's in 1955?

I realize I'm detracting from the as-shipped factory condition for the
car, but current headlight glare seems twice what it was in the good old
days of 6-Volt yellow light bulbs and my tired old eyes need the relief
furnished by the anti-glare flipper.  And its easy to change back for
our judges.

Thanks for any help on these research and development questions.

300ly,

Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA
1955 C-300 (with 2" of gas in a 6" deep tank)

pennsy300@xxxxxxx wrote:

>The exhaust system  diameter for the 300 F is 2 1/2 inches all the way  from
>the front to the back, right?   McTaggart

Give the gift of life to a sick child.