[Chrysler300] C-300 Carbs

To the C-300 carb and engine gurus:

I am in a dialog with a guy on C-300 carbs and he raises some
interesting points.  Can anyone shed light on what makes a C-300 carb
(2317S) unique, and whether the two carbs are different?

Perhaps one of you is or knows the "Pebble Beach" type referred to.

I also need materials to return my manual-choked Carter WCFB 2317S's to
factory-stock automatic chokes.  Anyone have a source for the automatic
choke components?  Are they the same as for a NY or Imp carb?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA
1955 C-300

hi rich,
thanks for all the info on the carbs (I will take any c300 help I can
get). There is a guy ($1300 rebuild a set, yikes..) that sells a kit for
around $100-115 a carb. This guy is supposed to be a premier 'pebble
beach' type of restorer, and he knew those c300 carbs well, and actually
said they were unique to that car (or there was something about them). I
got his number somewhere, but know I have it. There is also a guy around
me that would do them for around $300 or so a carb ($600 total). The
cool thing about the high dollar restoration guy was he knew those carbs
well, and I respected the fact he knew the unique stuff. for example, I
have a set of 270hp carbs for a 57 vette, and believe it or not they are
stamped and are unique to that 57 corvette car, yet you could buy
standard ones over the counter back then in 57. so long short, there
must be stamps or counter weights or something that makes a 55 c300 carb
a factory carb (or jets?) and stuff that makes them different over the
counter. quite similar to the corvette story, that's why i have guys
offering me $2000 for the unrestored set, yet they are standard carbs.
Thus there has to be unique things to factory shipped carbs at times,
c300 must fit that bill.

Yahoo! Groups Links