[Chrysler300] Elevated expectations

Gloria:

Previous communications from the locals indicated no special problems
requiring carb adjustments.  Water boils at 197 degrees at 8,000 feet,
so make sure you have a good radiator cap and don't remove it while
hot.  I hope your G has air conditioning.

I have no other advice on carburetion, but would note that my mapping
program shows I-5/US 50 route to be a 1 1/2 hour shorter trip although
35 miles longer.  Echo Summit--about 7200' on US 50.

I was wondering about the lake's elevation (6,225') and found this
website to be quite informative, especially the part about the lake
having enough water to cover all of California 14" deep.

http://tahoe.usgs.gov/facts.html

My 1955 C-300 spent most of its life in the Colorado Springs area and
has been converted to manual chokes.  This suggests that the automatic
chokes might have caused some problems at this elevation and cooler
temperatures.  Colorado Springs is at about the same elevation and
latitude as Lake Tahoe.

Question for the 1955/56 aficianados:  Any particular reason for not
offering air conditioning as a factory option on the 1955 C-300?  Was it
offered as a factory option for the 300-B in 1956?  I understand the
philosophy of maintaining a racing image, but they did offer power seats
and windows in 1955.

See you there in 20 days.

C-300'ly
Rich Barber
Brentwood 94513 (3 hot hours plus a gas stop away from South Lake Tahoe)
1955 C-300

gloria harris wrote:

>I am planning to drive my G to Tahoe.  Since highway 395 reaches several
>passes at 8,000 + feet elevation, I wonder if it is necessary to do anything
>to the carburetors to adjust for altitude.  Tahoe itself is about 7,000 ft.
>Thanks for any advice.

Yahoo! Groups Links