Re: [SPAM] Re: [Chrysler300] gas opinion

Re: [SPAM] Re: [Chrysler300] gas opinion

Larry and group,
1.  I have an experience that may have a bearing here.
2.  In 1978 I was transferred to Germany for the Army.  I was not about to
take my 68 New Yorker, so put it in long term storage.  One of the things I
did was run as much gas out as possible, then added about 5 gallons of
diesel fuel to the tank.  I then proceeded to jounce the car as much as
possible to coat the tank with diesel.  It was stored in an unheated garage
here in west central Illinois--as in cold winters and hot, humid summers.
3.  Upon return, the brake cylinders had to be rebuilt, but all that was
done was syphon whatever fuel possible out of the tank, add gas, rebuild the
carb, and go.
4.  In 1995 the fuel guage quit working.  The brass float was largely eaten
away.  I was told the tank was rusty so removed it, and tried to totally
clean and purge it to send to be coated, etc.  Turns out the tank was NOT
rusty, but the diesel had formed small granuals of black sand in the bottom,
much like the small clinkers in old fuel oil stoves.  It would seem there
had been some reaction over the years to form the black sand, but at least
it had not rusted.
5.  I still try to store my cars over winter with full tanks of stabilized
fuel to try and avoid condensation, but two of the three now have coated
tanks.
My two cents worth
Tim Tomlinson
2X300-K and a 68 New Yorker