[Chrysler300] Fuel for thought

I somehow recalled that gasoline tanks are internally coated with
something called a terne coating.  But I never knew what that meant.
Good old Google provided the answer as follows: excerpts from:

 http://www.tms.org/pubs/journals/JOM/9607/Alvarado-9607.html

This information indicates the issues of corrosion control and cost
control in fuel tanks is still under study.  I would not expect organic
solvents, mild acids, water or fuels to attack am intact terne coating.
Dents or gouges of the fuel tank might crack the coating and result in
rapid corrosion of the unprotected steel.

Dredging up ancient and not-so-ancient memories, I recall that all sorts
of foreign materials may be placed in gasoline tanks by vandals--and
that gasoline stations may also provide you with sand, scale and other
garbage.  Seems like Standard Oil used to have a final filter, right at
the nozzle, to catch this stuff, but it probably was a high operating
cost to keep changing the filters.  I read somewhere that there was a
fuel filter built into the tank of my C-300.  Any confirmation of
that--or instructions on how to change it out?

"Historically, terne-coated steel (an 8% tin-lead coating) has been the
mainstay for automotive gas tanks; however, several issues are changing
the performance criteria that must be met and, thus, threaten the
application of steel products. The drivers for a material change are
legislation, increased required part life to ten years/241,350
kilometers, permeability, weight, packaging, safety, and cost. In this
article, the performance attributes of the plastic and steel
alternatives are reviewed from an original equipment manufacturer (OEM)
perspective in the critical areas of manufacturability, cost, design,
weight, safety, corrosion, and recyclability.

North American auto manufacturers are currently supplied with tanks
comprising a steel substrate coated with either terne or zinc-nickel. In
all, about 125,191 tonnes of steel substrate per year are applied to gas
tanks.

Stainless steel tanks have been tested, and although effective in
flexible fuels, they are difficult to form without severe breakage
occurring during stamping. Also, stainless steel is expensive, with an
estimated cost ratio to terne steel exceeding 5:1.

The electrocoated zinc-nickel product is painted on both sides with an
aluminum-rich epoxy. Industry accelerated tests on the corrosion of
painted zinc-nickel confirm that it will meet a ten-year life in current
fuels and flex-fuels and resist external corrosion.

Testing the characteristics of painted galvanneal (zinc-iron alloy
coated steel) have found it effective for resisting corrosion on both
the inside and outside surfaces of the tank. General Motors has a
product undergoing testing.

Hot-dipped tin has also been found to be effective for resisting all
fuels, but it does require a paint coating for exterior protection from
road-induced corrosion. This product welds faster than painted terne and
has a better potential for good solderability than painted galvanneal
and zinc-nickel coated steel substrates, permitting the attachment of
fuel filler tubes and other lines."

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA