Re: [Chrysler300] Chrysler Trivia

Folks,

Depends on one's definition of Muscle Car. Chadwick, Duesenberg J/SJ, Olds
88, Hudson Hornet, Chrysler Letter Car, GTO?

In 1966 (as a freshman in High School), I wrote a letter to Motor Trend
Magazine telling them that the hoopla concerning the 1964 GTO (small car,
big motor, "first MuscleCar", so everyone said) was misplaced. I made a case
for the '56 Golden Hawk, which I still feel strongly about IF you use the
GTO's criteria .

Given that in 1956 the largest engine available was a 374 Packard, the ratio
of 352 (the GH's Packard engine) to 374 was closer in size to "the biggest"
than the GTO's 389 to the 430 Lincoln in 1964. Maybe that's why the first
groundbreaking test of a 64' Goat was the C&D coupe that in reality had a
Royal Pontiac blueprinted 421. The sad irony is that the same C&D issue had
the article "Who Killed Studebaker".

So the debate will continue, as we all know. However, thanks to Bob Rodger
and Virgil Exner and their lengthy focus from the C300 through the Sonoramic
cars (and the heritage it created for the later cars, like my 300K 4 speed),
the Letter Cars will always be in a class by themselves. None of the other
4/5 passenger sedans I mentioned (or may have overlooked), have had as
consistent a tenure of awe-inspiration.

Keith