Re: [Chrysler300] tires and rim

The 1955 Service Manual adds:  "Refer to Figure 1.  These wheels are
designed to provide added protection in case of a blow-out or rapid
deflation occurs.  The safety feature is a raised portion of the wheel
rim between the flange and well.  This raised portion tends to hold the
tire in place even if rapid deflation should occur."

Viewing my 1955 rims, the raised portion is obvious but the raised
portion is exaggerated in Figure 1 for clarity.  The net result is that
the ID of the tire fits into a shallow depression in the wheel.

I remember changing tires on these safety rims was a little more
difficult and that it took a goodly overpressure to get a tire to seat
in the grooves--with a BANG!

Any replacement wheel should probably have this feature.  I don't know
if the industry adopted this feature on wheels.

C-300'ly
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA
1955 C-300