[Chrysler300] Relay vs. Starter

Matt:

Assuming the circuitry of your '62 is similar to my '55, the service
manual suggests checking all cables and connections first.  Then check
the control circuit (hot signal from the ignition switch) by jumpering
BAT to IGN on the relay.  This simulates the ignition switch action.   I
would then recommend checking the neutral safety switch circuit.  The
relay in my 1955 C-300  includes a transmission-mounted pressure
actuated neutral safety switch circuit that relies on a good contact to
ground when the transmission is in neutral to make the relay work.  This
terminal on the starter relay could easily be jumpered to ground to
evaluate the effectiveness of the neutral switch and its circuit.   Then
check the relay by connecting a heavy jumper (or jumper cable) BAT to
SOL on the relay. If all this fails, it is either the solenoid on the
starter or the starter itself--or connections thereto.  All old cables
are suspect--even if they look good, there can be huge amounts of
corrosion under the rubber leads.  Carefully feeling the cable ends may
give you a clue as to what gets hot.

There are also ammeters capable of measuring starter current draw if and
when you are able to get the starter to spin.

Best wishes and let us know what you find resolves the problem.  Maybe
also what Granada America produces??

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA