From: Brandt Jimerson <brandt300g@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 21:16:19 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [Chrysler300] 300G backfiring

    Hello everyone! Melissa (my G), has just had her spark plugs, plug
wires,
distributor cap, rotor, coil and coil wire (the main) just replaced. I
gapped
all plugs correctly at .035". I used what I believed, the correct
torque for
torqueing them. Please note, I DO know , atleaste in the
Chrysler/Imperial
service manual, that it calls for 30 foot pounds of torque but I didn't
have a
torque wrench on me (shame on me), so I gave it about what it felt
like, to
loosen them. She's running STRONG except for an occasional backfire
mostly
noticed when slowing, then giving it significant acceleration while
turning, to
go down the next street (probabley more precisely, just at lower rpms,
but not
all the time). Now I did sets the points 5 to 6 months back or a few
thousand
miles ago or so. I set them at around approx. .018" gap (specs. for
point gap
range from .014" to .019"). I recently learned about the dwell and
found that to
be at 36 degrees (at idle in nuetral @ 900 rpms approx.). That is
  within the correct range. I then reset my timing from 17 degrees BTDC
back to
about 9. (17 could damage engine eventually!) Jeff Carter over a year
ago or so
set it between 8 to 10 degrees. I know that my point setting changed
the dwell
which then advanced me about 7 degrees (sorry, a lot of you already
know why
this happens but I'm just trying to explain everything VERY
thoroughly). Now,
could backfiring, on occasion at lower rpms, be a 'ram thing' or did my
'getting
all the electrical done right' to my knowledge, get ahead of the fact
that my
carbs. are not in synch. with the 'new electrical'. I have NOT done
anything
with the carburetors yet. Is it time to check my point setting again? I
believe
point gaps too small like timing too retarded can maybe cause
backfiring but am
not sure.  Any help or suggestions please and thank you TONS in
advance!!

Sincerely and 300ly,
 Brandt H. J. w/ a G.

For list server instructions, go to