RE: [Chrysler300] more rebuild talk... what's MAX overbore?

RE: [Chrysler300] more rebuild talk... what's MAX overbore?

If it sonic checks ok to bore to the 440 size it should run fine and not
overheat. Lots more piston choices for the 440 is most likely why they
want to go that route. You might want to keep in mind that the rams are
designed for the 413 so they will not work as well on the 440. The rpm
range will drop at least 500 rpm, meaning the engine will not make peak
power at as high an rpm as the 413. The engine will kind of run out of
steam early like a 60-61 long ram engine. You may never notice it if you
baby the thing and never wind it out like the car was built for. The 440
will make better low and midrange torque that you will notice. To really
make that 440 shortram engine run like the raped ape it should you will
need to get those short rams ported and matched to the heads. Not a bad
idea to use a little newer head with the bigger valves and better flow
than the stodgy 413 heads, if you want to keep the 4 bolt valve cover
look then get oversize valves put in the 413 head and have the pockets
opened up at least. You will also have to use a bigger cam in the 440, I
would go with an engle hydraulic cam, they make some very nice high lift
low duration mopar cams that make badass power and still have good
vacuum and drivability. Ram engines cant deal with too much duration and
low vacuum, Kinda knocks the wind out of the engine at lower rpm.
Porting the short rams is not noticeable when installed and will make a
very big difference. I had a set ported and flow bench tested and the
cfm was easily increased from 200-210 cfm to the 250 range which is
where you need to be for them to work on the 440. The castings are
horrible with very mismatched ports from the factory.
The 300J and Ram Ks were pretty easily the fastest of the letter cars
and with just a bit of engine upgrades, blueprinting and tuning can be
made to keep up with or surpass the performance of many 440 musclecars
while remaining just as driveable as a stocker. You should be able to
get that car to run 13s in the quarter mile EASILY. When those earlier
fin car 300 guys give you crap about having a dorky looking car you can
drag race them for titles. I bet they all puss out.
Lee in San Diego