Re: [Chrysler300] Hot Shoes

 HI RICH & GROUP, I WAS BORN & RAISED IN JERSEY. CHRYSLERS WERE USED
EXCLUSIVELY ON THE GARDEN STATE PARKWAY & JERSEY TURNPIKE, THAT OPENED IN THE MID TO
LATE 50s. I AM CONSTANTLY APPROACHED BY CAR SHOW VISITORS WITH STORIES OF
JERSEY STATE TROOPERS DRIVING CHRYSLER 300s. NOT SO, IN MY MEMORY. THEY RAN
WINDSORS OR SARATOGAS, WITH POLY & WEDGE HEAD MOTORS. WHEN THE WINDSOR LINE WAS
DROPPED IN '62, IT WAS REPLACED WITH THE NEWPORT, THAT RESEMBLED THE 300 SPORT. I
UNDERSTAND, EARLY CARS WERE OPTIONED WITH POWER PACK (4 BARREL CARB & DUALS) &
LATER CARS HAD THE 383 OPTION, UNTIL IT BECAME STANDARD. WE USED TO LOOK FOR
THE DUAL EXHAUST, ON EARLY CARS. THESE TROOPERS ALWAYS DROVE AT A HIGH RATE OF
SPEED. THEY WERE ALWAYS PAINTED GARDEN STATE GREEN WITH WHITE TRIM. TROOPERS
STATED THE CARS HAD HEMI ENGINES, BUT WE ASKED A TROOPER TO LOOK AT HIS ENGINE,
IT WAS NOT. THE TROOPER INSISTED IT WAS A HEMI. WE LAUGHED ABOUT THAT FOR
WEEKS. NEW JERSEY STOPPED USING CHRYSLERS IN THE LATE 60s, EARLY 70s, DUE TO A
HIGH INCIDENCE OF REPAIRS, AS REPORTED IN THE NEWARK STAR LEDGER. THE STORY
WOULDN'T BE WORTH REPEATING, IF YOU SAID THEY DROVE WINDSORS. THIS FOLKLORE RANKS
SECOND COMPARED TO THE "TALE OF THE JERSEY DEVIL." ANOTHER INTERESTING BIT OF
TRIVIA, THE REASON THE GAS PRICES ARE LOW IN JERSEY $1.85- $2.00 PER GALLON,
ARE THE PARKWAY & TURNPIKE TOLLS. YEARS AGO JERSEY DECIDED ON A LOW GAS TAX,
SINCE IT HAD TOLL ROADS, NOT TO DOUBLE TAX COMMUTERS. NOW, THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT
RAISING THE GAS TAX. STEVE ESTOK, NOW IN PARTLY CLOUDY & A CHILLY 66, PUNTA
GORDA, FL

> I would ask for any help anyone can provide on verifying an article
> I recall that Chrysler 300's were used as Highway Patrol pursuit cars on

> the
> Pennsylvania or New Jersey turnpike.  I remember a quote that the only
> thing that ever outran one was a big Mercedes.

Yahoo! Groups Links