[Chrysler300] Rebodying Anyone - answer

Hi Andy, and all

With regards to rebodying:

I did read that section of code you sent us all a link to. It clearly
states:
a) A person who - (1) knowingly removes, obliterates, tampers with, or
alters an identification number for a motor vehicle or motor vehicle part;
shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.

b)(1) Subsection (a) of this section does not apply to a removal,
obliteration, tampering, or alteration by a person specified in paragraph
(2) of this subsection ; (2) The persons referred to in paragraph (1) of
this subsection are (B) a person who repairs such vehicle or part, if the
removal,obliteration, tampering, or alteration is reasonably necessary
for the repair;(C) a person who restores or replaces an identification
number for such vehicle or part in accordance with applicable State law;
And (D) a person who removes, obliterates, tampers with, or alters a decal
or device affixed to a motor vehicle pursuant to the Motor Vehicle Theft
Prevention Act, if that person is the owner of the motor vehicle, or is
authorized to remove, obliterate, tamper with or alter the decal or device
by - (i) the owner or his authorized agent;(ii) applicable State or local
law; or(iii) regulations promulgated by the Attorney General to implement
the Motor Vehicle Theft Prevention Act.

Hot Rod magazine ran a story on the new Camaro shells recently. They sort of
skirted around the legality issues of using such a shell, stating that
owners should check with local laws, and that a new VIN may have to be
assigned to the "new" vehicle depending on state laws.

However, I do believe that new shells are NOT available for any older
Chrysler 300 made. And I do believe that the process of removing the VIN tag
from, say, a Windsor shell and replacing it with the VIN tag of a Chrysler
300, is illegal.  If it isn't, it damn well should be. Same as skirting
around that issue by cutting out a section of windshield post around the VIN
tag so as not to disturb the original spot welds.

Your opinions ?

John Hertog

Yahoo! Groups Links