[Chrysler300] Ladies & Gentlemen, start your engines

[Chrysler300] Ladies & Gentlemen, start your engines

Starting fluid is generally ether and is most appropriate for use during
cold to very cold weather when gasoline's volatility is poor to
non-existent.  Both products require care in use to avoid singed eyebrows
and worse.  The starting fluid is usually in a spray can and may be easier
to direct into a carb throat, but dribbling a tablespoon full of gasoline
from a suitable container (glass pop bottles not advised) into the throat of
the carb before cranking, waiting a few seconds for vaporization before
cranking is usually the cheapest and most effective way.  Safety
considerations include replacing the air cleaner before cranking to protect
against flame damage from backfiring.

All liquid fuel or liquid starting fluid will wash lube from cylinder walls.
Ether, being more volatile, may actually do less of this washing.  Large
industrial engines often prelube and crank a bit before introducing spark
and fuel (in that order!)

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA (Cloudy overcast this AM, heading for 108 this weekend)
1955 C-300 (Fuel bowls still full this morning after very short run
yesterday resulting in a cool engine)