[Chrysler300] old 300s versus current, and future ones?!

[Chrysler300] old 300s versus current, and future ones?!

It is inevitable that Sept 11 brings one to think of anniversaries.

No one replied to my earlier query as to what date in Sept 1956 was the new
1957 Chrysler range released, but I guess sometime about now/soon is
the/that 50th Anniversary?!
Seems from afar in Oz, 1957 was sort of a year of 'higher greatness' for
both Chrysler, the 300, and also most American Car Makers - many out of the
57 models are highly regarded today, never mind that 1957 also saw 'safety
brakes' applied to 'factory motor racing', with Daytona 1957 being the last
year of 'factory entry' supercharged/multiple carby/, etc 'stock cars'.

By 1957, really only Chrysler of the big three was still playing 'racing' by
'the rules book', that perhaps why they did not do better compared re 1956
and the competition - Ford had injected, blown, and one off racing 368 cubic
inch Lincoln engined stripped streamlined TBirds running around 160mph, and
GM had it's own multiple somewhat 'non factory' equivalents, whilst Chrysler
just turned up with one 300C with fuel injection, and even the fast
Plymouths seem to have been mainly non factory entrants - Privateers knew
about fairing in headlights, windscreen edges, correct tire pressures, but
Chrysler seemingly missed badly re all these?!
Wayne Graefen has a car, 1957 300C, built to race, that unfortunately
perhaps never did, it's sister 'non racecar' now seeming lost, and only the
odd 300C, or any other '57 Mopar ever saw competition?
And come '59, as one 300E feature in the (excellent) latest Club magazine
says, the edge was gone from former 300 'strengths', a new focus was taken,
and the hemi gone - however cross ram motors soon re-dressed that loss for a
few more years before it faded again.

Come the Vietnam War late 60s period, and America thereafter seems slightly
lost re building iconic cars, and now America 'post 911' is sadly losing too
many more lives in another War some call a tragic mistake? And Ford's
Chairman has just stood aside atop damaging latest lost sales, this atop
huge plant closures and jobs losses at GM, etc..

But amongst any gloom there always is/seems hope for the future, and for one
example just tonight we have had the 'next President who wasn't' Al Gore on
TV talking not only of Global Warming (and how the World maybe has to
forsake it's great love of the internal combustion engine our loved 300s
have?), but also how we can maybe seek and have a better future.

I can guess there will be those amongst you reading this that may love or
hate Gore, but disregarding that, he is out there/here trying for a better
future, on this day when many might have mixed emotions re that terrible
thing that happened to the world on Sept 11 five years ago.
Many may have mixed feelings about whether America has helped the terrorism
situation by going into Iraq, but as one aussie, can I say that America
stands most tall for the bravery and service of all those going to Iraq and
Afghanastan, etc, no matter how right or wrong anyone may say the war. (And
give Gore one thing as an uninvolved 'non US' observer, he sure seems to
know so much re so many issues, issues outside the US? - and from
'knowledge' finally will come the answers?!)

And this current true great daily individual bravery and individual
sacrifice shows 'America', if it sets a correct course, can emerge into the
future once again as a great inspiration to others in many fields/areas, as
it has been with it's iconic cars - 300s and others.  Other countries are
building cars that America for decades built, ones inspiring a passion or
desire to own - America can again do likewise, and hopefully ahead is a 300
that is as awesome as the new V10 BMW M5 in 'M' mode, latest 430 Ferrari
that seemingly finally is a Ferrari that every Ferrari before it should have
been but wasn't , or other new current 'street supercars'.

They say we cannot stop 'change' - lucky our 300s are something that at
least we know for sure   what they are, even though presently no one,
especailly 300C guru Wayne Greafen, seems to know anything really final re
my supercharged 300Cs coming 50th Anniversary with Daytona Beach Feb 1957,
which has led me to start anew at Fond Du Lac where the car owners lived,
and later raced the car from - any300 member in Fond Du Lac expect an email
from me asking you to 'go visit' the address where they lived, and seek out
the Dealer who special ordered the car for them, and went to Daytona in it
with them.

May we thank those in the past who made sacrifices that made it possible the
original 300s were built, that we may/do wish to celebrate both their 50th
letter Series and other Anniversaries, and may we look forward to future new
great 300s, in a world finally/soon at peace with all who live on it?!

Christopher in Oz where our 1st 'new in 9 years' GM family sedan (known as
Commodore) has just been released - and it has current 300C styling
shape/cues!!??  - square rear, big flared 300 type guards, verticallish flat
slab front, poor vision out of cabin some ways !!!?  Previous 4door model is
nation's biggest seller, was basis for current 2 door GTO sold in US - how
is that for 'current 300C' trivia/odditity - how will it sell, be accepted?
(however roof profile side on is not square like 300, looks quite good from
some angles)

Yahoo! Groups Links