From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Andy Mikonis
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 1:42 PM
To: John J. Hertog; 'Richard Osborne'; chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] AFB 2903 electric choke conversion

My point was to concur with Warren that the heat tubes serve TWO functions,
one is to heat the chokes, the other is to provide heat to intake manifold/
carburetor for proper fuel atomization.

Independant of choke operation, you still need that carb heat for proper
drivabilty with the engine at operating temp.  A normal intake manifold on
top of the engine gets heated up by the engine when warmed up even if the
heat riser isn't working.  On a ram manifold, the carbs are sitting out
there cold without the heat tubes.  They don't run worth a damn that way.
Trust me.  Stalling, popping back through the carb, etc.

It's why the 400HP short ram F and G's have hot water plumbed in for carb
heat even though they have manual chokes.  And I hear those cars are still a
bear to get warmed up.

Andy

--- "John J. Hertog" <crossram@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Andy, now your statement confuses me most of all.
> The purpose of the chokes
> are to furnish more fuel / less air when the engine is cold.  If one
> disconnects the chokes, then the car will be cranky when cold.  If one
> removes the heat riser butterflies (or jams them) then the car will
> run overly rich AFTER it is warmed up and foul plugs.
> The purpose of electric
> choke system is to get the chokes to "come off"
> after the car has run a few
> minutes,  not the other way around.   I don't see
> why having electric chokes
> would make the car hard to drive when warmed up.
> It's the other way around!

________
Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/lOt0.A/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/8LmulB/TM