  From: Andy Mikonis
  To: John J. Hertog ; 'Richard Osborne' ; chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 2:42 PM
  Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] AFB 2903 electric choke conversion

  My point was to concur with Warren that the heat tubes
  serve TWO functions, one is to heat the chokes, the
  other is to provide heat to intake manifold/
  carburetor for proper fuel atomization.

  Independant of choke operation, you still need that
  carb heat for proper drivabilty with the engine at
  operating temp. A normal intake manifold on top of
  the engine gets heated up by the engine when warmed up
  even if the heat riser isn't working. On a ram
  manifold, the carbs are sitting out there cold without
  the heat tubes. They don't run worth a damn that way.
  Trust me. Stalling, popping back through the carb,
  etc.

  It's why the 400HP short ram F and G's have hot water
  plumbed in for carb heat even though they have manual
  chokes. And I hear those cars are still a bear to get
  warmed up.

  Andy

  --- "John J. Hertog" <crossram@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  > Andy, now your statement confuses me most of all.
  > The purpose of the chokes
  > are to furnish more fuel / less air when the engine
  > is cold. If one
  > disconnects the chokes, then the car will be cranky
  > when cold. If one
  > removes the heat riser butterflies (or jams them)
  > then the car will run
  > overly rich AFTER it is warmed up and foul plugs.
  > The purpose of electric
  > choke system is to get the chokes to "come off"
  > after the car has run a few
  > minutes, not the other way around. I don't see
  > why having electric chokes
  > would make the car hard to drive when warmed up.
  > It's the other way around!

http://us.click.yahoo.com/kOt0.A/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/8LmulB/TM

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional