Re: [Chrysler300] AFB 2903 electric choke conversion

Re: [Chrysler300] AFB 2903 electric choke conversion

  It is the enrichened mixture that is the concern. Fuel drops out (condenses) on cold manifold surfaces and especially low points like floor of intake mnifold. Then, condensed fuel drops into engine in globs. Fuel needs to be mixed real well with intake air (atomized) as it enters engine. Once there is some heat in the engine compartment, manifold heat is not quite so necessary which is why heat riser valve opens up. Fuel injectors atomize fuel very well which is why cold starts are easy in you 'M' but then cold engine lubrication becomes a problem, right?

  All this, just in case somebody thinks there is some short cut around a heated manifold with a carburetor which there is not.  One of those, BTDT things (been there done that).

  Best fix: straight propane carburetion that specifically does not want nor need heated intake. Runs like proper running FI.

  All this discussion and air cooled antique VW that drove into my driveway yesterday reminds me of the hours and hours I have spent cleaning out heat riser tube passages on those lovely beasts. Take the stock manifold off, install a performance cam, distributor and carb and the things will run real sweet AFTER temps come up. Cold starts are a battle just like what will happen with a V8 or straight 6 or a 4 cyl without heat when cold. Modern, low emissions fuel we have to deal with today only adds to the difficulty.

  I will now step down carefully from my soap box, shut down my rant and go fix the air brakes on an International dump, carefully avoiding having anything to do with the blown out spark plug in the VW. Wherever, I hope your weather is at least half as nice as it is here today.

  Warren Anderson
  Sedona,AZ

http://us.click.yahoo.com/0It09A/bOaOAA/yQLSAA/8LmulB/TM

<*> Your email settings: