[Chrysler300] Another approach to the same problem

[Chrysler300] Another approach to the same problem

Wow - nice can of worms I have opened.  Thanks all for your feedback.  I
must admit that, after having read various responses, both on and off list,
I am now more confused than anything.  Some people say the car won't run
right without heat under the carbs; and some others say they run just fine
that way, been there done that no problem.

Bob J. - yes, of course, without the heat riser butterflies forcing hot air
through the manifolds, the chokes will come off slower, even though, if
yours really open up within a mile, I'd say that's pretty good.

Warren and some others have voiced their concern about no heat at all when
engine warm -  and then some others have answered that they have had no heat
at all connected for quite awhile and their cars runs just fine.

Rich, I have spent hours and hours pulling off manifolds to replace
butterflies that people such as  you had broken off... It's a bitch of a job
and the parts to rebuild the heat riser valves are getting damn scarce.  My
experience with cars that had heat risers disabled is that they ran rich way
too long, fouled plugs, and didn't run right.  But then again, Bob J. says
his 300G is just fine that way.

I presented the question to Jimmy at Allstate Carb - he answered that the
lack of heat would be a plus, not a problem. I read to him some of the
e-mails arguing against turning off the heat to the bottom of the rams, and
he was still not swayed.  Jimmy does know these cars and the 2903 carbs, as
I have driven several to his shop over the years for roadtesting and
adjustments.

Anyway - I always prefer to keep cars as original as possible. So I started
thinking, without disabling the heat, how to protect the rams?   Made some
calls and ended up talking to the owner of Swain Technology
http://www.swaintech.com/     ; the owner tells me he can coat the INSIDE of
the heat passages with a heat-proof protective coating that will NOT burn
off or degrade.  Sure sounds like the way to go, to keep my last good set of
intakes from getting swiss-cheesed.  I am e-mailing him pictures  showing
the openings that he would have to work with (the two openings under the
rams as well as the choke pocket opening) ; he will let me know if his
equipment can handle it.

I'll keep you all posted. If this works, and the rams can be effectively
protected against the corrosive effects of the exhaust gases, seems to me it
would be a wonderful thing and well worth the investment, and the complete
heat riser system and choke system could be kept factory-original...

John Hertog

http://us.click.yahoo.com/hOt0.A/lOaOAA/yQLSAA/8LmulB/TM

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional