[Chrysler300] changing carbs on 300s

I think re hemi 300C 392s and putting on later (larger than stock) Carter
AFBs on the long available Weind dual 4bbl alloy intake is often thought
good/positive, however changing to different size carbs on ram manifolds may
need some careful opinion seeking, especially if one takes Chrysler's late
'50s onwards main stock performance rival Pontiac as an example.

A fairly well known (amateur?) drag racer with more than 1000 runs (Jim
Hand) has published results he found trying many different cam, intake, etc
combinations on mainly 60s thru early 70s 360-370hp  400 and 455 Pontiac
motors.

Seemingly Pontiac like Chrysler spent some/much time/effort finding the best
intake and cam specs/designs for their many different horsepower and weight
combinations they offered across their performance models, be they GTOS,
Bonnevilles, Grand Prix, etc..

If one goes on Google and searches Jim Hand, one finds for example, NO later
alloy aftermarket intake outperforms the (now decades old) factory stock
cast iron 4bbl intakes, and the cast iron one actually is even quicker over
the quarter mile than the higher hp factory alloy RA IV one.  And adding
fancy high flow RA III log exhaust manifolds are only worth .1 of a sec gain
over quarter mile !!

He notes that while higher hp may/can be won, it is too often over so small
a higher rev range, it actualy never makes the car faster, unless combined
with super light weight, super high ratio diff, many speed gearbox  - not
many of which apply to most 300s?

He concludes high cubic inches, combined with often shifting up at a quite
lower rpm, often/usually beats high dollar modified smaller cube motors.
(And he runs a car of near identical weight to our 300s)(plus Pontiacs
factory hps and cubic inches are pretty close to Chrysler's 392s and 413s)

Now not much of this is 100% directly relevant to ram manifolded 300s, but I
think it shows you need to find people as smart, or smarter than perhaps
Chrysler's engineers, to guarantee positive results re changing ram carb
capacities?
But then somewhere out there will no doubt be someone who has done it and
won? And ram manifolding has especially come into vogue over the last 10-15
years combined with fuel injection, so maybe there is a now way greater
advance over 4bbl carb manifold design 'now versus the 60s-70s era' ?

(And for opening a real can of worms, who out there argues a correctly set
up 4bbl carb V8 engine setup can deliver same fuel mileage as modern fuel
injection?)

Christopher in Australia, recently playing modify Pontiac 455s, whilst 300
projects keep out of our wet weather, which only now seems easing after 9
wet weeks in Aust's usually driest place!!

>From: Paul Martin <paul_martin78ca@xxxxxxxx>
>To: chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [Chrysler300] Edelbrock carbs
>Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 18:37:31 -0400 (EDT)
>
>I want to install a pair of Edelbrock carbs with
>electric chokes on my 300F.
>What model or part numbers should I be looking at?
>
>Paul Martin
>

>       Get a sneak peak at messages with a handy reading pane with All new
>Yahoo! Mail: http://mrd.mail.yahoo.com/try_beta?.intl=ca

Movie session times on Messenger - add Movie Scout today!
http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=785&referral=hotmailtagline0707&URL=http://www.yourmovies.com.au/messenger/signup/

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional