Re: [Chrysler300] Re: new wheel studs NOW: Wheel nuts

Re: [Chrysler300] Re: new wheel studs NOW: Wheel nuts

  If your wheels are designed for tapered seat nuts then tapered seat nuts should, must, be used. The originally intended fasteners may very well have had  a pilot nose.

  But, the wheels you have do not have tapered seats? Washers and flat seats then?? Good.  Flat seat fasteners won't work with tapered seat wheels. Most I have seen with this configuration also had a pilot nose on the nuts so threads are not bearing directly on wheel material. Wheels without tapered seats are hub piloted which means wheels center up on the hubs, not the studs.

  A touch of antiseize compound will lessen tendency of fasteners to grab, gall, alloy wheel material and a delicate drop of oil between washer and nut is nice too. Also, dry graphite film, like NAPA DGF product, is excellent at keeping wheel fasteners free running so that proper clamp load can be attained and does not make a mess.

  Looks like finding LH and RH threads might be fun? I have worked with a number of aftermarket steel and alloy wheels on a number of different vehicle types that had wrong fasteners or were just a bad design and were dangerous. So, best suggestion would be to proceed with caution.

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: