RE: [Chrysler300] Drivability Problems Related To Ethanol?

RE: [Chrysler300] Drivability Problems Related To Ethanol?

I hesitate to drag this out, but octane number, volatility and energy
content are independent properties of the components and any blend of motor
fuel.  Volatility may be expressed as vapor pressure.  Refiners raise vapor
pressure in the winter to assist cold-weather starting and reduce it in the
summer to prevent vapor lock.  Users never know what they are getting at the
pump, especially in the swing season as the refiners change their blends.

When ethanol is blended with gasoline, the overall volatility is managed by
the refiners to a specific target.  When the mix is introduced into the
intake system by a carburetor or a fuel injector, it is appropriate for the
liquid fuel mix to be finely atomized so that it does vaporize once it is in
the hot combustion chamber.  The energy of the components, including
ethanol, is then released in the combustion process, producing the downward
pressure on the top of the piston.  The finer the atomization, the quicker
the vaporization and the more likely complete combustion will occur.

Combustion pressure produces force on the piston, resulting in torque on the
crankshaft, management of the torque in a TorqueFlite, distribution of the
torque to the axles, wheels and tires and fun-fun-fun in our 300's!

BTW, my rough calculations show ethanol contains about 50% oxygen and 4%
water by weight.  And that stuff is still free.  The liquid oxygen is
released for combustion in the engine and does help many engines produce
cleaner exhaust, but I question its true energy value.  Its political,
geo-political and environmental values are harder to calculate.

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA