Re: [Chrysler300] Re:62 rams

Hi Jack and All:
One of the magazines with the road test of the Karen Carpenter/National Car
Rental 300H was Muscle Cars, January, 1989.  (Cover  is Linda Vaughn lying on
the hood of a Hurst Olds!)  Anyway, the  engine is pictured and it is the
standard issue 300H inline quad  arrangement.  Yes, there are a couple auxillary
gauges just to the left of  the console.  Rental was $49.95 and $.30 per mile,
but you had to be a  "member" of National's Emerald Club.  They said the fleet
of vintage rental  cars numbered about 100.   This particular 300H has been
for sale  several times in the past several years.  It was the Automotive
Quarterly  car too when painted white.  It was originally red, and is now, I
believe.
That settled, what about a ram 300H?  The 405HP 413 ram engine, among  other
optional engine configurations, are listed in the AMA specs as available  for
the 300H as well as all sport 300.  These listings seem to be just for
legalization of the items for racing.  At least Bud Fauble, according to an  article
I have, built his up.  The first mention I have ever seen that such  optional
engines were available from the factory is in the "Spotlight on  Detroit"
section of the June 1962 issue of Motor Trend.  Even that little  paragraph is a
bit "iffy" sounding----but it does state such engines can be  ordered on any
Chrysler 300 or 300H.  I seriously doubt any 300H was  ever so ordered,
certainly not by a serious racer.  The sport 300 would be  much lighter.  Rams are so
easy to add to an existing car that there would  have to be an iron-clad
history to the vehicle before I would believe it was a  "factory original" setup.
Haven't seen one so far.
300ly, Gil C.

In a message dated 12/22/2007 7:48:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,