Re: [Chrysler300] Carter carb quest

In a message dated 12/27/2007 8:24:50 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
ulf.larsson@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

What is with the pump intake check ball? Only the ball is  supplied in
the repair kits. Shall one try to open up the jet and and  simply try to
change the ball to a new one? Any experience to if the Jet  will hold for
a change of ball without the tiny parts holding it will  break?

Ulf,

As I recall, there are both inlet and outlet check valves in these
carburetors.  If you don't have both, the fuel just slurps back and forth  when the
plunger moves up and down.  I think that one of them is in a cage  and can be
screwed into its seat.  Do not try to take it apart.  The  loose ball is the
other check, and sits in a seat in the housing.  It seems  as though we used to
put them in place and just tap then lightly with a flat-end  punch to form the
seat. I believe that some other spring (Perhaps the pump  plunger spring?) was
installed on top of the ball to keep it from falling  out.

I wish that I could remember more clearly, but it's been a very long  time!

Good Luck!

Joe  Savard
Lake Orion, Michigan

Yahoo! Groups Links