RE: [Chrysler300] CCing to determine compression ratio

RE: [Chrysler300] CCing to determine compression ratio

I don't recall whether it was deemed to be important or worthwhile to do
this with each cylinder in each head, but I assume the purists would want to
do this for each cylinder on each side to assure even compression ratio in
each cylinder.  If not uniform, some grinding might be needed to even each
cylinder out to match the maximum volume one?

Also, does one just screw in the spark plugs or try to insert a
flat-bottomed plug??

It would also seem inconsistently decked sides of the block and variations
in piston height and crankshaft configuration might all contribute to
unevenness.

So, the basic question is how far should one go to "blueprint" an engine?  I
have seen on large industrial engines that individual cylinder horsepower
will vary considerably, even on a well-tuned engine.  Ram effect from
varying intake manifold configurations, varying TDC's on each cylinder,
valve condition, ring condition all preclude perfect balancing.  A 300 HP
V-8 will require an average HP per cylinder of 37.5 HP.  You can bet that
each cylinder is making something different than 37.5 HP.  Some more, some
less--and that will probably vary each revolution!  That is what the
flywheel is for--to smooth this out.  The most advanced ignition systems for
industrial engines actually allow adjusting the timing for each cylinder.
Better balance of horsepower between cylinders reduces the requirement that
any one cylinder has to be worked harder (and hotter) to make up for weak
cylinders.  Just like life!

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA