Re: [Chrysler300] 62 Power Brake Booster

Re: [Chrysler300] 62 Power Brake Booster

  Logic would have it, and having fought this battle previously, if your free travel went away when you achieved brake lock up, a push rod setting between lock and sloppy needs to be found. Push rod end clearance should not change with time unless some pivot developes high wear or a bracket breaks but may need to be corrected with parts changing at the master cylinder.

  fExcessive brake pedal travel problems can be in the master cylinder area or at the wheels if shoes are misadjusted. To separate the two possible problems, adjusting all the shoes up tight against the drums will eliminate excess shoe travel from the equation. With the shoes against the drums, this is also a super duper excellent time to pedal bleed and flush the hydraulic system with brand new DOT 3 fluid BTW.

  Warren Anderson
  Sedona,AZ

  Hi Group,

  I need some expert help in understanding a problem with the "push rods" in the power brake booster on my 300H.
  I obtained this H about two years ago, and the brake pedal has always had about 3/4 inch of free play.
  After completely going through the entire system ( drums, shoes.wheel and master cylinders, bleeding and replacing the fluid and adjustments), I have finally determined that the problem is inside the power brake booster.
  The push rod that engages the master cylinder piston was adjusted properly and I determined that the pedal free play was between the two push rods somewhere inside the booster.
  I then adjusted out the push rod to the master cylinder piston until most of the free play was eliminated.
  As you can guess the brakes locked up, and I have now re-adjusted the push rod to it's original position and again have the free play in the petal.

  Thanks in advance for your help and comments,
  Doug Warrener
  Fair Oaks. CA
  300H - 2

Yahoo! Groups Links