RE: [Chrysler300] Gasolone, 300 early day stories

RE: [Chrysler300] Gasolone, 300 early day stories

George and US members, over here I think we would love your 'high' gas prices - our pump price for 98 octane is now at $1.65c a litre, or about $6.70 a US gallon !!  And another near 50c gal rise tipped in next 10 days.

Much of the US versus Aussie difference is in govt taxes/charges, most of which vanishes into non auto revenue - a huge % of nation's roads much the same as they were in the 60s, when gas was cheap.

Speed limits here in Aust, now limit fun driving 300s to mainly short bursts of acceleration away from traffic lights if one gets in the front row - this I think of what George hints at as some of his US '300 fun' nowadays? And a well tuned 300 can still as you suggest give great such fun, even if recent website talk re unibody 300 weights being over 4200+ lbs shows the task 300 engines face re how much they must haul around.

With cloudy weather hinting of badly needed rain, for a few weeks I used my 71 El Camino, that is around 370bhp - about same bhp as 300C when well set up.  It was a shock to then start re-using my 300C - a real obvious first impression, of lack of instant 'bang', sparkle, or immediate get up and go, compared to the just driven 'El'. And at same time you guys talk/ask about how heavy are 300 unibodys, that providing a clear answer.  A 4200 odd pound 300 cannot 'get up and go' from low throttle, as well as a 3300 lb same hosepower EL C, vehicle.
But then from that initial very brief '300 lack' of 'bang' , bite, when rolling along on low throttle situations, that 300C hemi quickly gets into stride, and really moves that bigger car real hard.  So anyone who has a 300 that does not seem to really put a smile on one's face, maybe check if it is as well set up as it could be re carbs, getting full throttle, etc..  It is always great to hear of George enjoying a 300 of his - from so far away it puts a smile on one's face no matter the price of gas, or overzealous speed laws, road safety do gooders, etc.

And a quick final thought/request.  Recent comment re one person putting their early days experiences that likely led to them being a 300 owner, makes me say it will be a pity if all early such detail/info is lost - as part of trying to better know the stories re my supercharged 300C, I yesterday (too briefly) spoke with a former 'Keekayfer' race days employee, that coming Meet organiser Carlton put me onto.

What a treasure trove of 'early 300 days' background - like just one of many stories/facts - he had the job of collecting/driving what Chrysler told him was 'THE FIRST 300C' - pre production - and it was a maroon convertible, and he had the chore/blessing of driving it to his bosses Mr K in Florida !!?  (where is that car now, and should it be listed 'somewhere' in 300C registery/history?)  Experts of today will argue such cannot be true, that the recognised "Number 1 300C', is a white convert - yet what is the actual truth?  Another story was Mr K, despite his immense wealth, buying a black 300B spotted driving past a secondhand car yard. And another, that Mr K hated Carter carbs, that why he used Ford Holley 'teapot' carbs.  And that even when hand race built, the 355hp 354 300B hemi motors only put out around 355bhp.  And how Mr K fired him four times in just a few years, each time giving him a raise when he asked him why he was packing his stuff to go etc. - but is that really a 300 story/fact?!

(I believe) Older people who have stories re the days involving our 300s must be encouraged to pass on what they know and have experienced, it be written down formally within the 300 Club, otherwise the 300 story is greatly diminished ?  There are any number of fast, sexy looking cars, even today, where here in Australia Ford are about to release their upgraded 4 litre 6 cylinder Falcon, which in turbo family sedan version, does the quarter mile in 13.3 seconds, not too shabby I reckon for a car of 3400+ lbs weight?, not to mention again it just a 6 cylinder - the American Chrysler 300 story is great 'US Auto Tale', especially re the period 1955 - early 60s.  Don't lose the special stores that really tell what went on before, during, and maybe were it's demise?!  And to those that don't care a hoot, maybe don't too quickly criticise those who do, rather direct them to most appropriate places?

Christopher in Australia, where today is a major national holiday, Anzac Day, where we remember our nation's first greatest war disaster, where as part of a bungled British WWI plan we invaded Turkey on this day, this the beginning of our WWI involvement where huge numbers of thousands of young aussies died for our future there at Anzac Cove, and later across WWI Europe - "Lest we forget, at the going down of the sun, and in the morning...... "  Australia is a true ally of the US, and we have established a history of turning disasters around, not quitting, and standing by friends to the greatest loss/personal cost - aplos for the ramblings

To: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: longrams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 16:10:37 -0400Subject: [Chrysler300] Gasolone

Today, I got the "J" running after a bit of electrical problems. Spit & sputter, backfire, cough! One and one half year old gas! Down to the Citgo station. Put the credit card in, opened the gas cap, which then rolled under the car, way, way under. Flipped the lever aND STARTED PUMPING IN "SUMMER GASS". Finally got the "J" running today after some electrical problems. Cough, sputter, 4 cyls. running, backfire and ran like a Model "T". One and one half year old gas in the tank! Down to the Citgo station. Slipped in the credit card, took the cap off the fill pipe, which then rolled way, way under the car. Stuck the nozzel into the tank, started pumping premium (also adding a can of "OctaneBoost") fuel. Nineteen point 9 (19.9) gallons. Moved the "J" up to get the tank cap, installed. Went back to get the receipt. Opened the glove box door to record the purchase on my "fuel-mileage" pad. I was like putting my finger into an electric socket. Twenty (20) gallons at $4.269! Eighty five dollars and thirty eight cents ($85.38)..........at 12 miles per gal, conservativly, the way I drive, I just made the station's profit for the day. Made the wages for the two employees for the day. Listening to the TV about summer gas prices, supposedly going over 5 bucks per gal, (thank you OPEC and Bushy baby) one has to consider traveling in these "BRUTES". Property and Income taxes may have to wait. Milk prices over 4 bucks a gal! Motor oil 3 1/2 bucks a quart, if it's any good for the car. But what the heck, one only lives once. There is nothing like smelling tire "smoke" and rocketing down the road in a "beast", getting a glance of the cop that just "hit" you with the radar gun.At 78 years of age, the "kid" in me still lives. I see my neighbor has his Corvette out. Think I'll stop by and challenge him. Darn, another trip to the gas station!Hey, you all, just don't sit there and look at the 300, break the piggy bank and borrow some of your kid's college fund, have some fun, safely."Old" George Riehl[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)