[Chrysler300] Reflections on John Hertog

[Chrysler300] Reflections on John Hertog

Hello 300'ly to all,
     Since receiving Pete Fitch's e-mail regarding John Hertog's passing I am amazed at how many times over the past 5 years that he touched my life. It seemed that he was the first person we would encounter upon arriving in the parking lot at a 300 Meet in the late evening hours.  His friendly greeting and handshake always rejuvenated me to forget about the long journey and get with the parking lot group. Numerous times I sought John's advice on a variety of topics about my C or how to go about doing something in the club. I was very impressed with his fund of knowledge, honesty, subtlety, and diplomacy.  If he didn't know about something he told you so. As a true director, he had a phenomenal knowledge of the vehicles and corporate memory of our club's history.
    I remember him telling me about "Golden" and how he personally put every nut, bolt, screw and fastener together on the car but left the painting to a professional. To witness his restoration work I often wondered what criteria he regarded others as professional.  His handiwork was that of a master. John's passion however was not for a G but for an F. Since he sold "Golden", I was under the impression that he was able to immerse himself in the ultimate F project.  Sadly I don't think it came to fruition.
    Mention by various club members of a tribute to John in the form of a judging award has been made. This sounds like a fantastic idea! I would propose that there be two HERTOG AWARDS: one, for a concours judged 300 that becomes a SENIOR car in the eyes of the club , THE HERTOG AWARD ( sounds like a car collecor OSCAR, eh?) and the other would be for identifying a member of the club on an annual basis for emulating John in service to the club or fellow clubmembers, a type of distinguished service award, THE HERTOG RECIPIENT AWARD. Since John factored in not only for the cars but for the people why not create a lasting tribute that will always be queried by new members of John's great contribution to our organization?
    Marnie & I extend our condolences to John's Mother and Helen. John truly defined being a GIVER in life.  ROB KERN

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)