[Chrysler300] Dad and 300's

My dads in for a visit from Benson, Arizona. He drove his 1965 Plymouth Barracuda back here to PA. I found a Cruise control on ebay that he installed just a few weeks ago to make the drive more enjoyable. He is 79 and he used to be a mechanic at a Chrysler dealership.
As a kid, I was always by dads side as he was working on his cars and any projects, repairs and remodeling around the house.

My very first car was a white 300G. I bought it in 1968 or 1969. The G was at a garage that I worked parttime at and I think it was towed in as  had a blown engine. We pulled the engine and I was right there helping dad rebuild the engine. Dad never had a garage to work in so we just did the best we could in the alley in back of the house. We lived in a small half double,  mom and dad and 7 kids with only 2 bedrooms.

Anyway, with dads visit it is very nice wrenching with him again. The trannsmission in the 62 300 Sport Convertible was acting up. We rebuilt a spare tranny and just removed the old one and put in the rebuilt tranny on Wednesday nite. Dad made rebuilding the torqueflite so easy that I will probably get a kit and rebuild the one we took out of the convert. to have as a spare. He shared some hints and tips as we were doing the rebuild. I'll have to do this one alone as he is getting antsy and wanting to go back soon. I am going to hate seeing him leave Home again to go back there but he loves it out there. I don't care what they say 110 degrees is 110 degrees ...dry heat or not.

I am very thankful for having the dad I have and have always cherished the moments we spend / spent together.

Lion Charlie Valentine
300G, 1962 300 Sport Convertible

By the way... I had a very difficult time deciding what transmission fluid to use. I know that Type A is the correct fluid but try buying some. Doing an internet search to find a suitable replacement was just confusing. Some swear by using Dexron III / Mercon and some swear at it. The same goes for Type F, some say use it and some say definitely DO NOT use Type F. Since I  could not find Type A , I made a last minute decision and used Type F. We took the car for a short test drive and all seems ok.
Still not happy and satisfied that I made the right choice on using Type F I did more internet searching and I found a source for Type A transmission fluid. I made a call and they said that they only sell it by tthe truckload. Not sure how big the truck was  but I surely didn't want that much. The woman I spoke with was very helpful and understanding and helped with me buying 2 cases ( 24 quarts) and it will be Fedex'ed to me. It should be here next week and I will drain the tranny (converter too) and fill with Type A. I know I won't get it all out but I'll feel much better with Type A in there.
Anyone know if it would be detrimental if you remove the transmission lines from the radiator and run the engine for a short while to to pump out more of that Type F fluid? Just a thought...sure would hate to ruin that fresh rebuild. I'll also ask Dad when I see him later today, but just curious if anyone tried this. Except for the dipstick tube, which I can seal tight, wondering how tight the tranny is. Maybe taking a line off and pulling a vacuum might draw most of it out. Anyway...looking for suggestions.

Happy 300'ing
Charlie Valentine
wanted

<*> Your email settings: