Re: [Chrysler300] Radiator Clean Out

  I do not believe that there is any 'silver bullett' for your problem. The tried and true method would be to have the radiator hot tanked and rodded because most radiators are restricted with hard deposits that will not loosen up easily or at all with just chemicals . At some point however, the radiator shop will most probably determine and point out that the core tubes are leaking at the headers and that the hot tank (acid) process will open up a gazzillion leaks that cannot be fixed. This I bet you already knew. And, I see numerous radiators in the course of doing business and it has been a long time since I have seen a radiator that would go the rod and repair route.

  The radiator tubes can be flushed with some success (especially if it is a fairly fresh recore) if the radaitor is horizontal on your driveway. In the car is not as effective. Use of a commercial cleaner package that should minimize system damage and then flush the radiator off the car and best yet, pull a core plug on each side of the engine and flush the block. This assuming the system is considerably fouled. We have seen systems that have needed this treatment multiple times and we have then been finally successful.

  Good time to change the 180 degree stat too. Two gallons of nice new ethylene glycol and reverse osmosis (not distilled) water and good to go. Bars Leak is a good product that will do no harm BTW and contains ginger root that will help with block sealing but does not plug up the system like say Solder Seal or Aluma Seal. Ginger root tablets are good all by themselves.

  Warren Anderson
  Sedona,AZ

  BTW we are not receiving the CA smoke. Colorado OTOH is, big time. I remember living in SOCAL and big fires in the areas that are now burning and the news says that was forty years ago. Gosh and good luck if you are near any of them. .

    Some of the tubes in my 1962 300 are somewhat plugged with good old rust flakes.

  Is a good flush in order?
  OR
  Is there any good product out there that helps disolve and rid of the flakes ALONG with flushing the system and adding a new gallon of coolant?

  Thanks!

  Matt Allyn

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional