Re: [Chrysler300] 1960 300F Special 400 HP

Re: [Chrysler300] 1960 300F Special 400 HP

At the figure this one is likely to fetch after all the promotion, I
would think the buyer ought to have perfect assurance that this very car
is one Gregg Ziegler drove for that momentous record..  What if this one
crosses the block at some huge number, and it later turns out to be
identical to, but not the actual, black 300F that set the record
shattering mile at 144.927. I don't see on this website the actual
provenance - the chain of ownership demonstrating this is the very one.
I'm not saying I have any reason to distrust or doubt it, but it really
needs to be ascertained lest a new owner find himself sadly surprised.

One detail in this regard that caught my eye on the Russo & Steele site
was the the affidavit said to be signed by Gregg Ziegler. Why does it
bear the signature date of 11/9/08 when the printout of the affidavit is
10/02/08 (and even over-printed on 9/17/08)/ A skeptic might wonder if
perhaps the current owner may have sent the filled out form to Mr.
Ziegler on 10/02/08, and that Mr. Ziegler then signed and returned it a
month or so later to the current owner without actually knowing whether
this was the serial number of the car he drove. Was it perhaps a
different black 300F Special - one of the other eight that were built?
Did this one actually make the trip to Daytona? Was it one that ran
there but didn't win?

Everything's probably just fine here, but I'd rather be careful ahead
than sorry later. Burt or Gil, is the provenance of 300F #8403110398
known for certain?

Keith Boonstra
Holland MI

Richard Barber wrote:

> Interesting story accompanying a special F going to auction later this
> month: http://tinyurl.com/ydpjdh2 <http://tinyurl.com/ydpjdh2>
>
> Rich Barber

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional