[Chrysler300] 1960 300F Special 400 HP & daytona sand query

[Chrysler300] 1960 300F Special 400 HP & daytona sand query

No one else has I think yet replied to the query about preparing the beach/sand for the years the 300s ran on the beach, before most of the annual events moved to Bill France's new banked Daytona track late 50s.

Andy I think told me he was going to the Daytona Museum, such as it is re early Daytona days, so maybe he can add to what I have found out re researching my supercharged 300C running there early 1957.

Amongst the original Daytona items I have purchased is a shot of an old red painted beach sign. The words on the sign detail how by the time the southern swept sand has travelled the US east Coast, reached Daytona, it is perfect to pack fine and tight/hard, and how the ocean sweep then does that perfectly.

The events on the beach were run when the tides was out, so the widest possible hard sand was exposed. 1956 seeemingly saw perfect conditions. 1957 was however a very bad year, this according to near all the written reports in the abouit 10 major US publications I have found/bought that featured that year in their monthly annual issues, usually about 4-6 weeks after annual Feb time.

>From memory, they say near the whole first week was useless, too much loose drift sand. They tried to get around these conditions by running the less important events/cars.

And then when the ocean/winds finally came good to sweep the loose stuff away, the Flying Mile run/site was left with a sort of washaway that ate into the run mid course, that saw/caused (higher speed) competitors to have to slow and do a slight bend/turn.  Many of the magazine reports feature the 57 Tbird that crashed/rolled as a result.

The Factory 1957 300Cs ran slower than the previous year's smaller engined 300Bs. Mercury Outboards' Carl K was reported as attending, and is recorded as announcing just after that that he would not compete the new 300Cs. What effect on 300C lower top speeds was the bad sand, versus the new bad windstream/areodynamic jutted forward 1957 shape, is maybe still unknown, but whatever Mercury Racing/300s were out from Daytona on. Chrysler I think it is well documented, post Daytona ran 300Cs to see what they maybe should have got for top speeds Daytona 1957, had conditions been better.

However not only Chrysler was disappointed, a Factory Corvette (small block obviously) is mentioned in some magazines Daytona Reports saying that Chevrolet had been pre Daytona running some real impressive times on their (bitumen) test facility, but at Daytona 1957 lost about near 40 mph top speed!!!  Only two cars seemed to handle Daytona 1957's conditions - Pontiac, and Ford, with their large cube injected motors, and supercharged smaller 312s. I often wonder was Chrysler's injected car 'clutch blow up', a convenient way for the factory to get out of not running a embarassing 'not much higher' 1957 Factory Entry top speed - Corvette/GM were stunned, and it beggars belief that Chrysler with such a huge reported resource/facilities at Daytona 1957, could not replace a clutch disc!!?  Daytona 1957 seemingly taught GM and Chrysler injection was a loser for beach conditions - Pontiac's torque/savy, plus Ford's big cubes Tbird specials and supercharging however worked OK?!

And it is said Daytona 1957 being so bad re beach condition, was what saw Bill France finally get his much dreamed banked superbowl funded/built. This and crowds of apparently near 200,000 attending over the whole multi weeks event.

If I have any of the above wrong, please correct me - Daytona is a much under-reported/documented real great piece of America's Auto History - it's 'halocyn mid 50s heydays', only very brief, re it's long history from the early 1900s, re being the site for may record, high speed, US auto achievements.

Of 'maybe' interest to 300 owners, the key frantic, most achieving period, co-incided with the 300s birth (1955)thru, to iconic 300s such as the upcoming auction 1960 300F, and also the double blown 300F special of Granatelli, which he apparently has never sold, let go.

Add to that it maybe Daytona 1957 being the 'birth' of Wally Parkes great rise to notice/fame, when he ran a hemi '57 Plymouth hotrod/special, under "Hot Rod" magazine sponsorship - Wally went on to guide/father the NHRA.

Wally was most likely very glad my supercharged 300C was not fully sorted at Daytona 1957, it only running just under the 150 mph mark on it's unfinished 2nd run, but that still above Wally's runs.  Wally was later given permission to run again, at events end, when beach had finally come good, and now with his car faired/streamlined for least drag, and he he now ran the amazing times recorded in "Hod Rod" mags 1957 report.

Sadly for me, I only learned the Wally Parkes built his car aimed at the exact same special category that my car's builders aimed my supercharged 300C for, that event major sponsor "PURE OIL" had set up for non factory entries, just after Wally passed on. Wally may for sure have noticed my car - his hemi injected, mine supercharged, they both new/current '57 Mopar coupes. If he noticed it, I am sure he would have likely remembered it, but anything re that is lost now. Plus Wally may have been able to say/record, what happened to the %7 Plymouth Coupe after it ran Daytona and I think then Bonneville, but correct me if my memory wrong re Bonne?

Here's hoping all and anything re the upcoming 300F's runs at 1960 Daytona is well recorded and added to as much as possible before all those who may know the smallest bits of trivia are lost/gone ?!!

Christopher Australia - last 3 days over 110 degrees, yesterday and today 115 degrees - the sun is like a fire on your skin, even at 7pm dusk, and temperature at night over 100 degrees even at midnight. Fruit trees maybe knew it to be a hot summer, near no fruit developed !!! Cool change tipped tonight, so maybe this bad heat not as bad as US and Europe 300 members current ice/winter