  From: hmpirish
  To: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ; bhtharp
  Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2010 2:56 PM
  Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] new member

  Hello Brett, Phil Irish here'

  '56 B is my interest but the two years have many things in common.

  John Lazenby - Please comment about the feasibility of the following idea
  Re, the 12 volt conversion. Can one just substitute a '56 generator/power
  steering unit, or just generator with the power steering unit transferred to
  it, to get the 12 volts?  This will work to my knowledge.

  If I am correct, the 6 V system was positive ground, verses the 12 V
  system's negative ground - which if true would make the whole switch over
  more complex! Think all lights on the car - head/tail, blinkers, dash &
  interior lights, power seat, radio, windshield wipers....  Yes, the 6 volt system is positive ground and 12 volts were negative.  Besides the items you've listed the voltage regulator, fuel sending unit and possibly the fuel gauge itself.  You might be able to use some resistors or voltage drop devices on some of this, but I think this is letting the cow out of the barn.

  I'm not certain about electrically "stepping down" to 6 volts for your
  windows etc., but if you find a donor car from '56, I'm certain the 12V
  motors would mount exactly the same.   Phil, I'm not completely sure the motors are in exactly the same position.  Years ago I discovered that in 1955 there were two different sizes of door side glass used.  One is taller and this might change things.  I've never researched it further, but I think if you refer to a 1955 parts manual you will verify there are the two part numbers.  There was a power front seat on ebay
  recently from a '56 imperial that was being parted out and I think that
  seller did not get too many bidders - his car might be ideal to get all the
  parts you need. He was located in Maine - I'll see if I can find his
  e-mail, but check ebay directly looking for parts from an Imperial. He had
  a torque flight transmission (out of that '56 Imperial) that tempted me, but
  I decided I had more pressing needs that swapping out my power flight!

  Richard Barber, often on the list server, is very active with his C-300 and
  very knowledgeable.  Rich recently made a post on this and stated "
  I'd forget about a/c for a C-300. Several came so equipped from the factory
  and every other '55 Chrysler sedan or coupe could be so equipped with the
  rear-mounted unit."  I guess it depends on what you consider "several".  Documentation I hold supplied through the efforts of Gil Cunningham and his micro film research state that there are less than 20 Letter Cars that were so equipped via the factory.  That number would be around 1% of production and I wouldn't consider that "several".
  John Lazenby is our expert on both years. I'd refer almost any question
  about your car to him!

  I'd like to also add that for years our Tango Red which we've owned for over 20 years suffered with hard or no start issues.  I used a 6/12 battery which will crank faster but puts unnecessary load on the 6 volt starter and it really looked very "Micky Mouse" when the hood was up.  My friend Ken Brody who makes his living servicing vintage cars and owns four C300 cars kept telling me he could "fix the problem".  Finally I let him have at it and he was telling me corrently.  The starter was rebuilt "correctly", the distributor and carbs was set up "correctly", good quality battery cables were used that were sized to deal with a 6 volt system.  Last, was a good battery and for numerous years the car never fails to crank and start.

  I also have two other '55 examples, an Imperial Newport and a NYer Town & Country Deluxe wagon with the same 6 volt set up and NO ISSUES.  Just this past weekend I purchased a 66K 1953 Custom Imperial Newport (6 volt) that will be dealt with EXACTLY the same and I know I'll have good results.

  Good luck - All the Best 300ing!

  Phil