Re: [Chrysler300] 300H -Changing shift points-the sequel!

Re: [Chrysler300] 300H -Changing shift points-the sequel!

Thanks to all who responded to my question about this. The overwhelming response was to (what else!), follow the shop manual procedure on 21-39.

I didn't mention this in my post, but I had tried unsuccessfully to set the carbs per 21-39 in the 62 manual. I gave up, not bothering to figure out why the procedure didn't work. (Big mistake)

 I decided this morning I would methodically go through each and every step and see exactly where the procedure didn't work and figure out why.

I had a huge surprise!

I found the problem was my inability to put the 3/16th rod through the linkage bracket on the firewall. I couldn't get it all the way through.

When I disconnected the linkage to the accelerator pedal, I could insert the rod all the way though. I found my problem was that the lever, which is part of the accelerator pedal assembly was bent sideways. It was not dropping into the "trough" which was formed in the floor connected. Instead, it was hitting on the
"banks" of the trough. This didn't allow the pedal to come all the way up, greatly decreasing the total travel available.My idle speed was set with the pedal maybe half way to the floor!

(I had had the pedal assembly rebuilt a few months ago as it was broken and had a worn out bushing. I had probably bent the lever over the years as the pedal was fairly cocked when I had it rebuilt.)

 I bent the lever back (bench vise and big hammer), installing and replacing it several times to make sure I didn't bend it too far.
The procedure worked perfectly after that. The pedal was a LOT higher, the shift pattern was correct, and that car hasn't gone like that for 30 years or so! It really goes well now. That additional accelerator pedal travel made a huge difference!
My thanks to all who responded with their helpful hints.

Mike Moore
300H
Morgan Hill, Ca

<*> Your email settings: