Re: [Chrysler300] 413 DISTRIBUTOR CAP

I have been frustrated trying to start a fresh  engine, unsure if I'm on time or 180 off.
I now  remove  #1 plug , and as I pull the engine up to TDC with a wrench, I make sure I can feel air coming out of the plug hole. My thumb works well-at least it has worked well for the TR and the Jaguar engines! I haven't needed to try it on my 300H.
(I have seen a whistle device which screws into the plug hole for that same purpose.)
That way I'm confident its not 180 out, and I have less  anxiety when the engine is grinding away.

(Another frustration factor----who would have thought you could reassemble a Lucas  distributor with the rotor shaft 180 off?-but that's another snake in the grass!)

Mike Moore
300H

On May 16, 2011, at 7:00 AM, yelof@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> To index the plug wires to the cap, rotate the harmonic balancer until
> it's mark aligns with the zero line on the tab. At that point you have a
> 50 50 chance of the being at Top Dead Center (TDC) of cylinder #1.
> Remove the distributor cap and note where the rotor is pointing. If the
> rotor is pointing to a tower about where you remember it to be then put
> the #1 plug wire there. If it is approximately 180 degrees from where
> you remember it to be then rotate the balancer another turn and it will
> now be at TDC. Put the #1 plug wire into the tower the rotor is now
> pointing to.
>
> The position of the #1 wire is solely dependent upon the orientation of
> the distributor shaft when the distributor was last installed. If it was
> installed according to the manual then the left clip is meaningful.
> However, it can be installed in any of eight positions (8 teeth on the
> gear). In reality only about four positions will allow enough clearance
> for the vacuum canister so timing adjustments can be made.
>
> MN Marshall

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: