Re: [Chrysler300] 413 DISTRIBUTOR CAP

My experience trying to start a cleaned up and reassembled engine;
After a week of trying to get it to run (with indexing the timing mark
on the harmonic balancer to the pointer) i just rotated the dist all
over the place until I finally got it to run.  Turns out the harmonic
balancer timing mark was way off. i assuming the outer prat of the
balancer had slipped on its rubber insulator.  I'm running fine but can
not rely on the timing mark.  Will replace the harmonic balancer.

Ken Wilson
62 H

Michael Moore wrote:
> I have been frustrated trying to start a fresh  engine, unsure if I'm on time or 180 off.
> I now  remove  #1 plug , and as I pull the engine up to TDC with a wrench, I make sure I can feel air coming out of the plug hole. My thumb works well-at least it has worked well for the TR and the Jaguar engines! I haven't needed to try it on my 300H.
> (I have seen a whistle device which screws into the plug hole for that same purpose.)
> That way I'm confident its not 180 out, and I have less  anxiety when the engine is grinding away.
>

> (Another frustration factor----who would have thought you could reassemble a Lucas  distributor with the rotor shaft 180 off?-but that's another snake in the grass!)
>
> Mike Moore
> 300H
>

> On May 16, 2011, at 7:00 AM, yelof@xxxxxxxx wrote:
>

>> To index the plug wires to the cap, rotate the harmonic balancer until
>> it's mark aligns with the zero line on the tab. At that point you have a
>> 50 50 chance of the being at Top Dead Center (TDC) of cylinder #1.
>> Remove the distributor cap and note where the rotor is pointing. If the
>> rotor is pointing to a tower about where you remember it to be then put
>> the #1 plug wire there. If it is approximately 180 degrees from where
>> you remember it to be then rotate the balancer another turn and it will
>> now be at TDC. Put the #1 plug wire into the tower the rotor is now
>> pointing to.
>>
>> The position of the #1 wire is solely dependent upon the orientation of
>> the distributor shaft when the distributor was last installed. If it was
>> installed according to the manual then the left clip is meaningful.
>> However, it can be installed in any of eight positions (8 teeth on the
>> gear). In reality only about four positions will allow enough clearance
>> for the vacuum canister so timing adjustments can be made.
>>
>> MN Marshall

> For list server instructions, go to http://www.chrysler300club.com/yahoolist/inst.htm

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional