[Chrysler300] rebuild steering gear 300G

[Chrysler300] rebuild steering gear 300G

Hi all:

Getting into this discussion a bit late but allow me to put in my 2 cents
worth.

When I restored my F in '95-'96, I installed bias ply tires.  The car  was
all over the road and I dared not leave loose of the steering wheel.   Can
you imagine going down the 405 Freeway at 80 mph in morning rush  hour with
this condition?  After several years of fighting this, I  decided to install
radials and realign the wheels.  Still I had  wandering.  So one day, I
jacked up the front end so both tires and frame  were of equal height above the
ground and started to play with the adjustment on  the steering box.  This
turned out to be fun and educational.  I found  that by turning the
adjustment all the way clockwise, the wheels turned to the  right by themselves.  Of
course this is with the engine running..   Likewise, when I turned it
counterclockwise, the wheels turned left.  By  adjusting it so the wheels were
"perfectly centered," front to back, I now have  a car that tracks exactly
where the steering wheel is when I take my hands  off, smooth road or rough.  I
guess you could call this dynamic  adjusting.  Only one person has driven my
F since then and confirmed it but  unfortunately he is with his creator,
probably fixing 300's, my eternal friend  John Hertog.

I sure missed attending the LSMFT Meet.  A lot of members I looked  forward
to meeting whom I had only communicated with by e-mail.   Unfortunately, my
wife is still recovering from a severe illness she had 3 years  ago and I
could not in good conscience leave her alone.  She's not a car  person.
Maybe sometime in the future.

Dan Reitz
Northridge, CA
300F