[Chrysler300] Need a Parking Brake Cable

[Chrysler300] Need a Parking Brake Cable

I need a parking brake cable for my '62 300 "Sport" ragtop.  I am guessing
that one for any 60 thru 62 Chrysler (300/Windsor/sport etc.) will work.  I
know the 60/61's have a little longer wheelbase but I would think that
judicious routing would enable any of them to work.  I have determined that
this is NOT an adjustment problem, the inner cable just doesn't slide easily
in and out of the outer sheath like it used to.

When re-connecting my current cable after the engine/trans rebuild, I
suspect I accidently routed it too close to the exhaust header and maybe it
melted something inside or maybe it got kinked somehow while the
engine/trans was out of the car.  Anyway, the foot pedal will pull the cable
inside the sheath towards the firewall but after releasing the foot pedal
end, I cannot physically pull the cable back out of the sheath unless I use
a pair of vise grips on the ball end.  It needs to move inside the outer
sheath smoothly enough to allow the little wimpy spring between the ball end
and the outer sheath to pull it back thru the sheath and release the brake
mechanism on the end of the trans tail shaft.  I had considered substituting
a larger spring but it cannot be any larger, because of the clearance
restrictions within the parking brake mechanism.

It is very inconvenient not having a parking brake on my '62 as that
particular year, (the first year for the "new and improved" 727 Aluminum
torque flight) there was no "Park" provision on the transmission.  You just
get Forward, Reverse or Neutral, no park, and if there is any slope at all
where I park, I cannot get out of the car fast enough to place the block of
wood under a tire without the car either rolling away or over me.

I don't particularly mind what the cable looks like cosmetically, just so it
will function properly.  I certainly don't need, nor could I afford a new
one, just a good working one.

Someone out there must have one, or perhaps a suggestion for where to look.
I sent off an E-Mail to Murray Park but have not gotten any response.

If anyone out there has had this problem and has some solution to fix or
repair the cable I have, I would patiently listen to any wisdom from within
the club.  Otherwise, I need another working cable assembly.

In the meantime, the big land yacht is tied up at the dry dock inside my
garage.

Big John Mc Adams

(In SoCal)

<*> Your email settings: